Information, news and data: operating instructions
“We send the EU £350m a week: let’s fund our NHS instead”: do you remember? This is one of most famous Leave Campaign slogan that contributed to Britain's Brexit.
Fake, incorrect or misleading news has been a problem since information exists. In the last five years, these messages have found room for spreading and engaging people, thanks to an accurate target profiling and specific audiences.
In this 2019 Ted Talk, Carole Cadwalladr has investigated about how fake news, like the anti-EU slogan, can change public opinion and world socio-political systems.
Despite this, there isn't any guide line about fact-checking, news tracking and source checking. Actually, we are living an endless controversy about these themes, countless trials, data-leaks and some weak answer like Jack Dorsey announcement in October 3 2019, when he said that Twitter will ban targeted political ads.
Our Tangible Slack channell is full of links and threads about this topic. So we invited Carlo Canepa from Pagella Politica and Donata Columbro from Dataninja, to spend a day with us and learn more about the world of news and how to support data with informations. Carlo and Donata will help us to focus the topic at the present day, discovering useful tools and methods. We will work on a sample mockup topic to understand the design opportunities we meet while dealing with informations, news and data.
Morning time with Carlo from Pagella Politica
09:30 - 11:30 am
Module 1: Fact-checking and nowadays journalism – Introduction
- Are we living in the fake news and post-truth era?
- What's fact-checking? How was born, why is necessary and how people are using it all over the world.
Module 2: The toolbox - Practical exercises
- How to check if a news is true or not?
- How understand if a picture or video has been edited or not?
- Which are the most reliable sources and the useful fact-checker tools?
Module 3: Fact-checking and experience design – a constructive comparison
- How fact-checking can support digital design and experience design?
- How experience design can support journalism in the post-truth era?
Afternoon time with Donata frome Dataninja
02:15 - 05:45 am
Impact Storytelling with data
- Inspiration from the world: all the things we can tell with data, from activism to marketing
- Open data, big data, thick data…? Start from scratch: terms you should know when we talk about data
- What data visualization and data-driven products stands for? How to create charts that works
- Recognize news and charts distorted with data, what questions you have to ask yourself when you read a number
- Problems when working with data: win over the data bias
Contents and files (available in Italian only)
- [Article] Interview with Carlo Canepa and Donata Columbro (ITA)
- [PDF] Carlo Canepa's slides (ITA)
- [PDF] Donata Columbro slides (ITA)
Resources shared by Carlo from Pagella Politica
- Module 1
- Module 2
- [Tool] Bellingcat’s online Investigation Toolkit
- [Tool] First Draft Basic Toolkit
- [Tool] First Draft Advanced Toolkit
- [Book] Journalism ‘fake news’ & disinformation
- [Tool] Google Alerts
- [Tool] Google Fact Check Tools
- [Tool] Corona Virus Facts Alliance
- [Tool] Invid Video Verification
- [Chrome extension] RevEye - Reverse Image Search
- MapChecking - Crowd size estimation
- Live Universal Awareness Map
- Web Archive
- Flight radar 24
- Marine Traffic
- Facebook ads library
- Google Transparency Report
- Google Scolar
- Retraction Watch
- Quote investigator
- [Chrome extension] Crowdtangle - Link checker
- [Chrome extension] Text Fragment
Resources shared by Donata from Dataninja
- Inspiration from the world
- [Book] Invisible women
- [Book] Data Feminism - A book recommended by Donata, with a red flag warning: all statistical samples consider only white women.
- [Book] The Truthful Art, Alberto Cairo
- Stories Behind the Line
- Kiva Loans
- How to fix a toilet
- Gedi digital (ITA)
- Slots of Italy (ITA)
- El Dorado
- Show Your Stripes
- Foundamentals and tools
- Open data from Apple about mobility during Covid
- Spurious correlations
- [Article] 3 pie chart representing Covid death
- [Article] Redesign Covid charts by Giorgia Lupi
- [Article] Real Chart Rules to Follow
- [Article] Data literacy is useful for everybody (ITA)
- [PDF] Pie chart bad practice (ITA)
- [Instagram post] Data illustrated by Michelle Rial
- [Tweet] Pie chart bad practice (ITA)
- [Tweet] Cherry pickin